Cardigans are long-sleeved sweaters; they have either buttoned down the front or closed using hooks or zippers. They can’t be tied on the waist area, or else they’d be a robe.
Cardigans can be worn by both men and women, and are known to be a fashion staple. They can be worn in a formal setting, perhaps an office meeting, or in a casual style, more likely as weekend outfits.
Cardigan Fabric Types
There are various fabrics that designer cardigans are made of. The material used helps define the season or weather the cardigan could be worn with. A lighter fabric will make the cardigan wearable over the summer and spring months while heavier fabrics will make the cardigan wearable during the winter.
- Cotton – Cotton is not expensive and is very low maintenance. Cardigans made of cotton are breathable, light and thin. These make cardigans perfect for summer nights and spring days.
- Wool– Cardigans are traditionally made of wool; wool cardigans can only be worn on chilly autumn days as well as in the winter. Be careful in washing them; don’t expose them to the heat of the dryer. By doing so, you’ll just make them shrink.
- Linen–This fabric is a cool choice because it’s cool when held, lightweight and moisture-absorbing—qualities of a good summer fabric. Cardigans made out of linen are pricey, so owners should take care of the garment to make it last.
- Silk– Silk is an appropriate material; it’s smooth to the touch and drapes on the body beautifully. It cools the wearer during summer months and warms the wearer during colder months.
- Cashmere– Cashmere is one of the most expensive materials because of the complex process that it has to undergo. The fabric becomes a very fine material that has to be hand-washed all the time.
- Synthetics– Synthetic materials include rayon, acrylic, and nylon. Cardigans made out of synthetic materials are less expensive than those made of other materials and are easier to maintain. They don’t wrinkle and they wick moisture away from the wearer.
Cardigan sweaters come in a variety of fabrics you can choose from
All you need to do is to consider what type of event you would need the cardigan for then choose the appropriate material for it, as well as the size and color of the garment, and you’ll end up being stylish and fashionable.
And that’s just because of the cardigan you’re wearing.